craftopia

2.20.2009

subway portraits

I have been sketching people, in secret, on the subway for the last couple months, in hopes of using these sketches for a series. I am struck by how many people I come into fairly close personal contact with on a daily basis here in nyc. Yet, there is a disconnect...I find my (and most other people) inclination is to not make eye contact, not speak or engage in any way. How do we live in such a dichotomy? As a recording of this concept I am stitching, fabric collage-ing and quilting subway portraits. First, as an excercise, and then I will decide where to take this project.
They will also be components of my Parsons application. I'm applying...we'll see what comes of it.

IMG_4161

hand embroidered with ink- 16"x18" approx

IMG_4172

fabric collage and painting- 20"x24" approx

IMG_4134

fabric collage and painting- 20"x24"

IMG_4163

IMG_4166

reversible quilt- 18"x22"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home